Sunday, December 07, 2008

StevePavlina.com - Personal Development for Smart People

While I was at Pavilion yesterday browsing books before I went to Dr. Ng Wei Lin's wedding (Wei Lin, Congrats for your wedding!), and I came across this book by Steve Pavlina on "Personal Development for Smart People".

Took a quick browse at it, as I was rushing and I came across that he maintained a site (linked above).

Browsing through it just now, and I am impressed. He has put up 823 articles over the past 4 years, to share for free with anyone on earth, and he monetized it through adsense and other means. To be frank, his site is not even full with ads.

A ranking of about 30,000 in Alexa for a person's site is definitely impressive!

Would encourage those of you who care about Personal Development to pick up his book and also to read his blog. The list of all his 800+ articles (and growing) is here .

One of his articles caught my eyes just now. It is on How to Build A High Traffic Website or Blog .

And his 10 advice are:-
1. Create Valuable Content
2. Create Original Content
3. Create Timeless Content
4. Write for Human Beings First and Computer Second
5. Know Why You Want A High Traffic Site
6. Let Your Audience See the Real You
7. Write what is true for you and learn to live with the consequences
8. Treat your visitors like real human beings
9. Keep money in its proper place
10. Focus on genuinely helping people and the rest would take care of itself

Looking at those 10 advice, I think mine definitely have very little on No. 2 "Create Original Content". Maybe that is an aspect for me to work on. And I guess I blog boringly. But to be frank, what I hope is that the information I blog about can be shared and learned by my fellow blog readers and they can feel free to spread the info to others.

Thanks to many of you who have kept on encouraging me to blog, and it is due to that, that keep me continue blogging. From time to time, some friends would tell me that they attend some events after finding out from the blog, they like certain articles or links to certain resources. That definitely motivates me.

I will continue to try and write what I personally think would be useful for my blog readers. This is not a blog that write about my life, but it is certainly on issues I care about. You can see that a lot of it would be on education, youth, career, charity etc.

If you have any feedback, do share with me. Thanks for your support! When I started blogging, I would not have imagined that I would have 150-250 visitors a day. It is still nothing compared to most other bloggers, but I will continue to strive to make sure that my blog can help people.



-----
Click here to read more of Chen Chow's posts

Would encourage any of my blog readers to share with me any event that you come across. As long as the event/activity/initiative is education/charity/youth oriented and is not-for-profit, I would be more than happy to post it to share!

No comments: