Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Thanks to ZJ for sharing on this Fulbright Scholarships.

ZJ and Raymond are willing to take questions on this. So, feel free to post it at the comment. They would reply on this.

This is quoted from here .

Application deadline: June 17, 2009

The International Fulbright Science and Technology Award For Outstanding Malaysian Student is for Ph.D study at top U.S. institutions in science, technology, or engineering. The award is designed to be among the most prestigious international scholarships in science and technology. The program is funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) in Washington, DC. It aims to convey the message that the U.S. remains the premier destination for serious scientific study and research, and that America not only welcomes top-notch talent, but encourages future leaders to shape their careers through U.S. study.

International Fulbright Science and Technology Award recipients come from all regions of the world and engage in a wide-range of scientific inquiry. Recipients are chosen through a rigorous multi-tiered, merit-based selection process in their home countries followed by a field and discipline review by well-known U.S. academic leaders, final nomination by a blue-ribbon Advisory Panel including U.S. university deans, presidents, and a Nobel Laureate, and approval by the Fulbright Scholarship Board.


Applicants must meet the following requirements :

1. Be a Malaysian citizen.

2. Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree (comparable to a U.S. bachelor’s degree) before August 1, 2010. It is highly recommended that bachelor’s degree is in the same or a related field for which you plan to pursue Ph.D. study.

3. Have a strong academic background in the sciences.

4. Demonstrate English proficiency with a recent TOEFL score (or equivalent) of 580 (PBT), 93 (I) test or higher and GRE General Test score.

You are ineligible if you:

are currently studying in the U.S;
have received a previous Fulbright award; or
only plan to pursue non-degree study
Eligible Fields

Aeronautics and Astronomics/Aeronautical Engineering
Astronomy/Planetary Sciences
Biomedical Engineering
Computer Sciences/Engineering
Engineering (electrical, chemical, civil, mechanical, ocean, and petroleum)
Environmental Science/Engineering
Geology/Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Information Sciences/Engineering (engineering focus only; business-focused study is not eligible)
Materials Science/Engineering
Neuroscience/Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Public Health (theoretical focus only)


All grantees receive tuition, a monthly stipend for up to 36 months, health and accident coverage, a book and equipment allowance, professional conference allowance, travel support and specially tailored enrichment activities, and are eligible to apply for additional research funding. After three years, U.S. universities have agreed to fund the remaining expenses toward completion of a Ph.D, assuming the grantees maintains satisfactory continuing progress toward Ph.D. completion.


Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York, will be responsible for placement of all Fulbright Science and Technology Award recipients. IIE will work closely with the recipients and ECA to ensure the best placement available for field of study and research interests.


Grantees will receive J-1 visa sponsorship under the Fulbright Student Program for up to five years starting approximately August 2010. After five years, if necessary, ECA will transfer sponsorship to the host university assuming satisfactory continuing progress toward Ph.D completion. Grantees not able to secure an entry visa to arrive in time for their program start date may lose their fellowhips. Selected candidates must provide IIE with a valid passport prior to the issuance of Form DS-2019.


Each applicant will be required to submit an online application from here.

Please refer to the application instructions and application checklist. (Please click on the repective highlight link)

A correctly prepared application packet facilitates the review process and increases your chance for an award. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete before submitting to MACEE.

A completed application should include the following:

i. 4 completed copies of the required application forms;

ii. 4 recent passport-size photos attached to each of the application forms;

iii. 3 letters of reference using the required forms (if they are not submitted online).
Should be in a sealed envelope.

iv. 4 copies of your curriculum vitae;

v. 4 copies signed signature form

iv. 4 official academic transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended, copies of diplomas for all post-secondary schools attended, TOEFL and GRE scores :

These documents must consist of:
a. Academic transcripts: Nominees must submit official, complete and certified academic documents covering the entire period of study at universities and other post-secondary institutions. Documents must be accompanied by complete official English translations. These documents must consist of:

1. One certified, official record (transcript) from each university or post-secondary institution you attended, even those schools from which you did not receive a degree or diploma. The transcripts should list the subjects you studied and the grades you received during each year of your enrollment. Official transcripts must be submitted directly from the schools in sealed envelopes to MACEE Office.

2. Certified, official evidence of each post-secondary or university degree, diploma or certificate awarded to you should be included as part of the completed application.

b. Standardized tests: You will be required to take one or more of the following standardized tests to gain admission to a U.S. university. For instructions on registration, contact the Fulbright Program Office or the website for the test.

1. Tests of English Language Proficiency

a. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): TOEFL is an admissions requirement at U.S. institutions for applicants whose native language is not English. All non-native English-speaking candidates should immediately register for TOEFL. Click on to www.ets.org/toefl for more information on TOEFL.

b. IELTS (International English Language Testing System): A growing number of U.S. institutions will accept the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL scores.

2. GRE (Graduate Records Examination): The GRE is required by most U.S. graduate schools and/or departments for candidates applying in the fields of science, technology, or engineering. You should make every effort to register for the earliest possible administration of the GRE. Generally, the quantitative section of the exam is weighed heavily in the sciences. Click on to www.gre.org for more information on GRE.

3. GRE SUBJECT TESTS are required for the following fields:

Biochemistry, Cell and molecular Biology
Computer Science
The GRE Subject Test is only offered on a limited basis in paper-based format—October, November, or April. You should make every effort to register for either the October or the November test.

Note carefully, you MUST indicate that you want your score reports sent to the Institute of International Education (IIE). You must indicate the IIE code on the registration forms and/or the forms provided at the time you take the exam.

For all TOEFL and GRE exams, please indicate CODE: 2326.
For the IELTS, select the Institute of International Education from the ‘Professional Bodies’ listin.

Applicants must submit 5 copies of the completed application forms with photographs and all required supplemental forms no later than June 17, 2009 to:

International Fulbright Science and Technology Award
18th Floor, Menara Yayasan Tun Razak
200, Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Chen Chow's Other Posts
Subscribe to Chen Chow's blog

Encourage any of my blog readers to share with me any event that you come across. As long as the event/activity/initiative is education/charity/youth oriented and is not-for-profit, I will be more than happy to post it to share

Feel free to quote any post within my blog, as long as you link it back here. Sharing is always a good virtue. :)


hhhcce said...

Hi there. I am currently doing my undergraduate in one of Canadian university and would like to apply to this scholarship during this coming summer. So, my question is are you both the awardees of the scholarship or are you the representatives from Macee? Sorry if my question sounds insolent and blunt to you.

Thank you very much

Cheen Euong

Chen Chow said...

They are the recipient of the scholarship.